Thursday, April 23, 2009

Anti-homeschoolers

I have always had a problem with people who are very opinionated about something, but don't do the research for it. Why try to convince me something if you have no idea what you are talking about? It has always been a pet-peeve of mine no matter what the subject.

Lately I have noticed a whole bunch of anti-homeschoolers that are that way. They do EVERYTHING they can to try to convince me to put my kids in public school and expect me to listen to them, but when I try to tell them why I choose to homeschool, they refuse to listen. Do you really expect me to take your advice when you refuse to listen to my side?

It has happened to me many times and yesterday, the kids psychiatrist did it. He insisted they needed to be in school so I could have a break and they could be socialized. Everytime I went to tell him about the socialization my kids get from co-op classes, extracurricular activities, etc he would interrupt me and refuse to listen. I never got to explain that they don't have recess and they don't know how to handle kids with ADHD and other "issues". I didn't get to explain that my kids are too advanced but would be held back for missing too much school or that I want my kids to spend time with their dad before he leaves on deployment or that the kids would make fun of Israel for still having to wear diapers (could you imagine what he would go through?). The list goes on and on but he wouldn't hear a word of it. Does he really expect me to just turn around and put the kids in school with all these concerns in my head without him listening to me? If you want me to listen to you, you may try listening to me too!

And please, if you are totally for or against something, anything, do your research FIRST. Before you try to bring others to your side of the argument.

2 comments:

Ariana said...

Rachel, do you mind sharing what curriculum you use and where you get it? I'm still trying so hard to make a decision (I know I DON'T want to do public school, but I'm trying to decide what's the best option) and was curious about looking into certain homeschooling programs. Any info would be helpful. My email is arianabelle@gmail.com, if it would be easier than facebook.

Rachel said...

Yeah, no problem. The curriculum I use is called Living Books curriculum. I have tried many different ones but this is by far our favorite. I found an add for it in a homeschool magazine I received and looked it up. We have only been using it a few weeks but so far, it is perfect for us! The website is www.livingbookscurriculum.com . It's all about learning from living books which is books that are historically accurate and actually entertaining instead of a textbook. They follow the Charolette Mason Method of which I am a HUGE fan. They also emphasize nature study by going on nature walks and the like. The hands-on outdoor stuff and my kids LOVE being outside.

She often will have all sorts of free stuff like free classes on habit forming or a free starter kit and things like that. Once you buy the curriculum, you get a ton more for free. It is about average price for the lower price end of homeschool curriculum and they do have payment plans if needed. Take a look and let me know what you think. I can also tell you about many others. I also use www.homeschoolreviews.com for reviews on most curriculums.