Sunday, September 18, 2011

Supermom syndrome

We all know what it is. We think we need to keep the house perfectly clean, make everything from scratch, raise happy, well behaved kids who love us and ALWAYS respect their elders, keep up with our blog and journal, volunteer at church, and maybe even go to school or homeschool our kids our selves. If we do homeschool, our kids MUST be far ahead of the dreaded public school kids and be able to keep house as well as we do. What is it? Supermom Syndrome.

I must confess, I suffer from Supermom Syndrome really bad. My house is NEVER clean enough, I constantly worry that my kids aren't learning as much as they could, I expect too much of my kids, and I worry that I won't get a 4.0 in school this time. The list goes on and on. Some people say I just need to be easier on myself and my kids. That may be true, but it isn't that simple. How can you be easier when everyone around you seems to criticize everything you do. Your autistic kid has a temper tantrum over something seemingly small, you must be a horrible mom that spoils him to death. Your kids spent time playing instead of doing school cause they need a break? You need to be turned in to the authorities for not schooling your kids enough. Your house is a mess cause you caught the flu along with your six kids and your husband is gone for an extended time? You must need me to call CPS and report you (no, I have not had them come here yet but to most my friends so I worry constantly). The list goes on and on.

So my question is, why do we judge each other so much? Why can't we offer a helping hand instead of thinking the worst about someone or worse, calling them in? Why can't we just assume a parent is doing what they feel is best for their family and each child and not just spoiling them or being lazy. Why can't we just try to be there for each other more and quit leaving people that could really use a friend in a desperate lonely state?

I see it all around me. Some are ready to give up, others want to hide out from the world, most just need someone to be there for them in their time of need. What happened to truly loving and supporting one another?

So next time you are tempted to judge someone or simply to tell them to lighten up and not be so hard on themselves, think about offering a hand or better yet, some true friendship instead. You both will end up better off in the end if you do.

No comments: