Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Field Trip and Halloween

So, Halloween was a big day for us. We started with a field trip to Tallassee, AL. They taught the kids about the civil war and "enlisted" them in the army.







Can you figure out where my kids are? They had these kids yelling "Yes sir" and really into it. They taught them how to handle a gun and sword. It was great!




















They then taught the kids about the tons of different flags the confederate army had, taught them all about canons and even shot one, then about camp life, and the medical part. The last station they played the banjo and sang some old songs. It went pretty well other than my kids being hungry and thirsty (it was lunch time) and towards the end, Eden had a huge fit cause she wanted her friend to come over and I said not today cause it was Halloween but another day and she went nuts. I had to have another mom take my other kids so I could go deal with her.


We finally got back to the van to get our lunch and my van key was missing. It had fallen off the key chain at some point. All we could figure was that it had to be in the big field somewhere. So I went looking with a couple of the workers while my kids stayed with the other kids and shared their lunches. We looked for hours and couldn't find it. A friend of mine has AAA and she called them but they couldn't help cause it is a dealer only key. So she called the dealers closest to us but they didn't have any in stock. We had no idea what to do and we were about two hours away from home in the country.



Finally, one of the guys pulled up in a truck and asked it I wanted a ride to where my key was. I was so relieved! He had gone over by the van and kicked it up out of the grass. I was never more excited to go home.

As soon as we got home, it was time for trick or treating. Eden went as a ballarina (she lost the angel costume I bought her), Israel was a dragon, Celestial as a dinosaur, and Luci was a ladybug. We went with the neighbors around our neighborhood. Ours is a big hit every year. People come in with the back of their trucks full of kids dragging a trailer full of kids and just let them go. Some people give out these cute little goodie bags instead of just candy. They have stuff like bubbles, straws, stickers, toys, etc in them. I haven't seen Halloween this fun ever in my life. We really enjoyed it!
After we got home, we settled down and watched "A Corpse Bride", which Ben picked out and relaxed. It turned out to be a pretty good day.










3 comments:

Unknown said...

hay that whit house looks lush is that your house???
sounds like you had a blast

Rachel said...

Don't I wish! That house is a few houses away from mine. Mine isn't that large or expensive. That family has a huge amount of money. I guess I should post a pic of mine though since most the fam hasn't seen it.

Devony said...

Ok I don't know if this is the Rachel I went to HS with or not, because there are no pics of you on your blog that I can find, but click on my name and check out my blog and leave me a comment if this is the same girl! Thanks!