Sunday, March 29, 2009

New Curriculum

Yesterday we received our new curriculum. I have kinda made our own this year so I could take the time to make sure I purchased the best curriculum for our family and I think we found it. I have always really liked the Charolette Mason Method of homeschooling. For those of you that don't know what it is, I will explain.

Charolette Mason was a huge name in Education in England in the late 1800's-early 1900's. Her ideas were that kids learn at their own pace. They need to have lots of time being in and learning about nature. They need to be learning from what she called living books. Living Books are books that are classic and grab your attention and teach you. They can be biographies, historical fiction, historical non-fiction etc. The point is to have a real education and not just to regurgitate facts for a test and then forget them. There is a lot more to it, but that is the very basic idea.

So I saw an advertisement in a homeschooling magazine I have for www.livingbooks.com and decided to check it out. They follow the Charolette Mason method and send you these amazing books and everything you need like a planner, possible schedule, and extra ideas. This year, the kids will be reading books like the original Pinochio, Pollyanna, and many other classics. In science, they will be learning about animals, plants, and planets.

As soon as the books got here, the kids went nuts! I barely had the box open before I had a million little hands grabbing them. They looked at the books for hours and have been telling everyone they see all about them. Usually when I get a curriculum I know whether or not it was a good choice and lives up to the advertisements. So far, this one does. I really think we will enjoy this one and the both the kids and I are going to learn so much. I am so excited to start the new curriculum! Yeah for homeschooling!

No comments: